Four Hours

Housekeeping.  For those of you who monitor the Cost-O-Meter, it’s been ticking up a bit.  There haven’t been any significant purchases, just things like paint, gasket sealer, cotter pins and cork for gaskets, all just examples of how the Pony can nickel and dime you to death. 
That reminds me, I made my first gasket this week, and The Princess was kind enough to take these shots of me working on that.  This gasket is for the hydraulic fluid tank and fits between the tank and its cover.

For the last few days, I’ve been back down in the garage, cleaning and painting parts.  The bolts that held the two halves of the Pony together are particularly bad, and I’ve spent a couple of hours on those alone.  Judging by the fact that the bolts aren’t uniform in appearance, I’d say the Pony has been taken apart at this particular place before, and that, therefore, it’s likely this isn’t the first time it’s lost its drive shaft, cotter pin.  I’m guessing that on this almost sixty-year-old Pony anything that could go wrong has gone wrong at one time or another.

You can do a lot with four hours.  It takes me a little under that to complete one of my three regular bike rides each week.  My twice-a-week volunteer gig, again is just under four hours.  It took me four hours on Sunday to put the second coat of paint on the Pony’s engine compartment.  I used the new can of paint I bought at Tractor Supply, and I don’t think I’m mistaken in thinking it covers better than the stuff I bought earlier over the internet.  Here’s a shot Gene took of me applying that second coat.

It was a drive out to Gene’s that got me thinking in four-hour increments.  The road between Gene’s house and mine, one of them anyway, is Damascus Church Road.  There’s a beautiful old church on the north side of the road, not so coincidentally named Damascus Congregational Christian Church.  Here’s a photo.

I mention it, because last week on the way out to Gene’s there was a funeral going on in the church when I drove by.  There were a lot of cars there and a canopy set up in the cemetery over an open grave.  I didn’t give it a lot of thought and proceeded on to Gene’s where, as previously reported, we did some pretty good work getting to the bottom of the Pony’s drive shaft issue.  I was there about 4 hours, and it was probably after 5:00 pm when I drove home, passing the old church one more time. 

The church was closed, the were people gone, and the parking lot empty.  Out in the cemetery the canopy still stood over the now closed grave, flowers heaped over the mound of earth.  As I continued on my way I thought about what a difference four hours can make.  A former loved one, a family member, a friend, a neighbor, that person had been among the living, but was now gone never to be heard or seen or felt again.  In the days ahead, the canopy will come down; only a stone will mark the place where the physical remains of that person lay.  Then after a time the cemetery will become peaceful again.

And for those who attended the funeral, memories are all that remain.

Thanks for reading.


One response to “Four Hours

  1. Hi Bruce,
    How is your shoulder handling all the work on the tractor? It sure is looking good! I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with progress.
    Your Mother was here for bridge on Wed. and won all the money. Way to go mom!
    Please say hi to Cindy for me. Hope you have a pleasant Memorial Day weekend.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s